It is with joy and excitement that I announce the selection of James J. Kang for the position of Director of Communications for the California-Pacific Annual Conference effective July 1, 2013. James has a passion for communicating the mission and vision of The United Methodist Church, and has cultivated his voice through many avenues of ministry. As the founding editor of a digital magazine, as communications administrator of the Institute for the Study of Asian-American Christianity, and as a panelist and speaker at events throughout the conference, James has established his credentials as an articulate and creative communicator. James currently serves Compton First UMC as a local pastor. His educational achievements include a B.A. in Psychology from the University of California, Irvine, and a Master of Divinity from the Claremont School of Theology. James has been involved in the life of our conference in many capacities, including youth and young adult ministry, district planning and strategy committee leadership, and service on several conference boards. His technical skills and experience encompass a wide variety of communications platforms, including print and graphic design, web development and social media, and audio and visual production. He has a vision for conference communications that is inspirational, innovative and achievable, and he is anxious to begin this important work with and among us.
As Director of Communications, and in partnership with the bishop, the cabinet and the Navigation Essential Ministry Team, where he will work most closely with the Mission Articulation Committee, his primary responsibilities will be:
- to help identify, equip, and coordinate the work of a communications team;
- to develop and guide the implementation of strategies for effective communication among annual conference agencies, districts, and local churches;
- to promote and coordinate activities to enhance the awareness and reputation of the Church;
- to help guide the strategy to interpret the conference budget and other benevolences;
- to provide guidance and training in effective communications for annual conference, district, and/or local church leaders;
- to lead the conference in developing effective relationships with the news media within the annual conference;
- to guide conference leaders in developing and implementing an effective communication strategy under the connectional ministry;
- to lead the conference in using new and emerging technologies as tools for ministry;
- to provide the connectional relationship between the conference and United Methodist Communications.
I look forward to the gifts, enthusiasm and skills that James will bring to the Director of Communications position and the conference. We of the California-Pacific Conference have so much to share with the world about God’s grace and mercy. I’m confident that James will lead us well helping us to give strong and passionate voice to our message.
Bishop Minerva G. Carcaño